Battery Problems

Nothing in the manual tells how long the battery needs to be charged to obtain 100%. Warm lights can drain battery in two hours if camera sees itself in a mirror. Fully charged battery is depleted overnight with very few activations. Need to be able to turn off warm lights to extend battery usage. Color is not as important as keeping the camera running at night!

1 Like

Hi Robert,

With a 5V2A power adapter, it will take 4~5 hours to get the camera from low battery to full.
Having reviewed feedback from different customers, we have decided to add the enable/disable option of PIR in the next firmware upgrade. Before it’s available, kindly try the workaround by setting the PIR sensitivity to lowest and adjust the camera view so that it will have less false activation at night.

1 Like

Tim, my workaround is to keep it powered at night, because the camera battery can not power it over night. The ONLY possible way that the battery can hold a charge for six months, is if you fully charge it and stick it back in the box!

1 Like

I am on the third charging cycle since I got mine, and it is not getting to many trigger events. The 6 month battery was really a pipe dream and perhaps a sales pitch. It got me, and prevented me from buying the solar panel, although I went ahead and bought one.

Is there a way to determine the battery is 100% charged? Will the blue light stay solid or something? This last charge lasted an even shorter time than before, which is unacceptable. This time I’ll keep it plugged in for 5+ hours and see what happens. Very disappointed with the battery life.

1 Like

My experience has been the same. I’m still waiting for the solar panel that’s due this month, at my last check. I’ve been using a 60 watt power cell in conjunction with the camera to keep it operating continuously for about a week. The power cell will discharge after two days and the camera will manage to continue to operate until I can recharge my power cell. When the camera shows one red bar I plug the power cell back in for another couple of days. Also very few activations.

1 Like

Hi @rcworship @robert.jones2939
The indicator light will flash blue and red during the charging, and stay on blue when the charging has finished.
Sorry if I repeated myself again, we have noticed the issue of battery life and has the plan to add more features like enable/disable options and arming schedule for detection, in order to manage the battery better. However, these features may come in the later version of this month.

2 Likes

Hey Tim,

I charged my camera for 6:33 yesterday and the blue lights was not solid. Now that I know it should be, I’ll wait next time until I see it so. Now to wait for that solar panel so I don’t have this problem anymore. Pretty disappointing.

1 Like

This is good to clarify @Tim , LEDs operation #vacos-battery-cam :

• Flashing bue - detect motion
  • Flashing red - Less than ~35% of battery
  • Flashing blue and red while charging (both)
  • While charging - Solid blue = Fully charged
1 Like

Not sure about you guys, but I have seen an improvement in the #vacos-battery-cam recently. Now all the batteries last at least 1 month.
Somebody else?

1 Like

Mine still lasts only a week with a supplemental power cell attached. Received my solar panel this week and it disconnected me from WiFi while attached and I can no longer access my camera. Something is messed up.

1 Like

That happened to me as well, solar panel is not working as it should, I noticed two main issues:

• solar panel is absorbing power from the camera
  • camera connectivity is gone

How did I fix it? I removed the solar panel and I fully charged the camera, reset the camera and tried again, I thought then that it was working fine but I was wrong, connectivity is messed up!
Hard to know if the solar panel is charging or not, also the access to the playback media is like corrupted.
@Tim, I believe Vacos is working in fixing this issue, right?

1 Like

I reconnected solar panel to camera and indicator flashes both red and blue, indicating charging, but I have no way of determining whether it is or not without the camera connecting via WiFi. Tim are you listening?

1 Like

Hi @ndabar , Yes, Vacos is doing more testings in order to reproduce the problems and resolve them.

Hi @robert.jones2939 , could you check if cameras can be accessed by the app after disconnecting the solar panels? So we know if it’s the same case as @ndabar .
As the offline issue could be caused by different reasons (weak network connection or low battery on cameras).
If cameras remain offline, please plug them to the 5V power supply for a while then check on the app again.

1 Like

Tim, camera will no longer connect to WiFi when the solar panel is disconnected either. When I press the reset button camera says “Device Reset Succeeded”, then it says “Welcome and thanks for choosing VACOS device”, then it says “Initializing device, please wait, waiting for setup” The red LED is slowly blinking the whole time until it says “Wifi connection failed. Please reset device and try again”. Red LED turns off. This keeps happening over and over again. Sometimes it does NOT say “Device Reset Succeeded”.

1 Like

Tim, finally was able to connect while the red LED was blinking by scanning the camera QR code again. Nothing said to do this, but camera is finally connected to the app again. Plugged in solar panel again and camera is working and connected to the app. Don’t know why.

1 Like

Hi @robert.jones2939 , glad to know the WiFi configuration finally worked :slight_smile:
Based on my experience, there are some tips that may make it easier to succeed:

1. When you cycle the WiFi connection for camera, please make sure the procedures are followed completely in each attempt. (For the camera, holding the button to reset. For the app, go back to the main screen and start from the ‘+’ icon at top right.)
  2. When Scanning QR code, try placing the camera and the phone on a flat surface like the below picture (side up).
1 Like

Just thought I’d chime in:
I can access my camera while the solar charger is plugged in. It does seem a little slow and buggy, but it works. My main problem, as Tim knows, is that the battery is discharging overnight due to an apparent lack of solar technology knowledge at Vacos. I understand that there must be a switching circuit that stops the current flow from reversing when the panel is not feeding current to the camera, but the designers didn’t think about this. I charged my camera overnight and plugged it in and it lasted a couple days!!! That was the worst yet. Charged it yesterday and put it up, plugged it in at night, and in the morning it showed 1 out of 3 battery in the red. Then, throughout the day it got back up to green, 3/3. Crazy! All Vacos needs to do is block the charging circuit below a certain charging amperage and we’ll be good.

2 Likes

Ryan, I had the same experience as you. Camera and solar panel work fine when the Sun is shining but as soon as the Sun goes down I start receiving low power messages all night. In the morning the camera shows one red bar and no charge until the Sun comes out. Then three green bars and charging icon are there.

Tim what is going on? How can it go from one red bar to three green as soon as the Sun is shining? Obviously, the bars are NOT indicating the true battery status. Another reason to go back to the % of charge instead of the bars.

2 Likes

@rcworship Thanks for sharing your experience and comment about the solar panel :slight_smile: Vacos team is still researching this case and will update once available.

@robert.jones2939 You are right about the false battery icon. We did found it turns from 1 bar to 3 bars quickly soon (in 20 minutes or so) after the camera has been charged. This is a software glitch to be fixed. Okay, your request to see the battery percentage has been noted.

Cool, I hope this issue will be fixed soon @Tim